THE HISTORY OF TREBARTHA HALL - Extracts from a talk by Robert Latham in October 2011

<<< To return to the "Trebartha & Trebartha Hall" page.
01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34
Click on a page number above. You are reading page 01 now.

Trebartha Hall

The name Trebartha is derived from the Cornish words ‘Tre’ meaning a ‘dwelling place’ and ‘Bartha’ meaning ‘by the water or stream’.

The story of Trebartha was told in 1971 by Robert’s uncle, Brian Latham, in his book “The House by the Stream”.

In 1066, before the arrival of the Normans, the area was under the local control of Wulfnoth. By 1086 the Normans had displaced Wulfnoth and control had been handed to Turstin, a sheriff, by Robert the Count of Mortain. Since 1271, when Henry Trebartha was in occupation, the estate has changed hands twice as a result of marriage and once by sale when the Latham family bought it in 1940.

In 1494 or 1498 the estate passed to Anna Trebartha who married Thomas Spoure and the estate remained in the Spoure family until 1729 when it passed to the Rodd family following the death of Mary Spoure. Mary was betrothed to Francis Rodd but died of smallpox before the marriage could be arranged but she bequeathed the estate to Francis in her will.

The image at the top of the page shows views of and around Trebartha Hall used by Robert Latham in his talk.