writing in his 1838 description of “The Hundred of
East” records “NORTHILL, 7 miles S.W. from Launceston, contains 153 houses
and 1089 inhabitants, including the hamlets of Trebartha,
Treveniel, and Illand.
The church, dedicated to St. Torney, is a rectory, value Ł36 6s 8d”.
The parish church of St Torney is in North Hill village and the holy well of St
Torney is situated by the River Lynher. To the west of North Hill village is Trebartha where Trebartha
Hall can be found. This was the home of the influential Spoure
and Rodd families.
Coad’s Green has its own Methodist
Chapel and village hall. The parish war memorial is situated at Congdon’s
Shop midway between North Hill village and Coad’s Green. There were once
Wesleyan Methodist chapels at North Hill, Coads
Green, and Bathpool and Bible Christian chapels
at Middlewood and Congdon's Shop. The war
memorial is at Congdon’s Shop where the B3254 meets the B3257. There is one
school in the parish, Coad’s Green Primary School.
The only public house left in the parish is The Racehorse in North Hill
village. North Hill has an active association football team (soccer).
Prehistoric settlements abound on
the moor and a reconstructed Bronze Age village can be found at Trewortha. Seven of the present day settlements were
recorded in the Domesday Book, viz: Illand, Landreyne, Penhole, Tolcarne, Trebartha, Trefrize
and Trevenniel. You can read more of the Fee of Trevenniel on the ‘Launceston Then!’ website.
For centuries the North Hill
parish economy has been based upon three main occupations of farming,
mining for metals and quarrying for granite. There are now no active mines
in the parish but quarrying continues and farming is still the main source
of employment for those working in the parish. In recent years tourism has
increased in importance. Many current residents commute to larger centres
of population to work.
Click on the image of Kelly’s
directory to see who was living in the parish and what they were doing over
100 years ago.
North Hill is bounded by the
neighbouring parishes of St Cleer, Altarnun, Lewannick, Lezant and Linkinhorne. The
boundaries of the parish are marked in many places by ancient stones; an
example can be seen in the first picture at the top of this page. The
process of ‘Beating the Bounds’ takes place from time to time, the last
occasion being in 2013.