WW1 & WW2



Duchy of Cornwall

Friendly Society

1569 Muster Roll


John Tremayne Rodd

Charles Edward Rodd

Francis Rodd (1839-1922)

(external site)





Readers should note that there are two people of this name, one was born in 1769 in North Hill and the other was born in Evesham in Worcestershire in 1777. Tremayne is clearly a Cornish name and both of these men can trace their ancestry back to the Rodd families who lived in Herefordshire and neighbouring Worcestershire. This section is about the younger of the two men but he has, as yet, no shown connection with the Rodd family who lived in North Hill.





Hugh Rodd of The Rodd in Herefordshire








Richard Rodd (died before 1647)








James Rodd (1611-1678)








Bampfylde Rodd (born 1642 Stoke Canon, Devon)


Reverend John Rodd of Marden, Hereford (born 1670)






Francis Rodd (born 1683 Stoke Canon – died 1736 North Hill)


Reverend John Rodd (born 1611)






Francis Rodd (born 1732 North Hill – died 1812 North Hill)


John Rodd (died 1804)






John Tremayne Rodd (born 1769 North Hill – died 1838 Tunbridge Wells, Kent)


John Tremayne Rodd (born 1777 Evesham – died 1844 Wollombi, New South Wales, Australia)






John Tremayne Rodd was for a time tutor at Blundell's School at Tiverton in Devon. He afterwards spent some years in India and then became a hydrographer in the Royal Navy and was principally associated with a survey of the Red Sea.

Resigning from the Navy on the death of his wife, he left for Australia with his three young sons and after a voyage of 104 days reached Hobart Town on 22 January 1822 in the 'Tiger'. Three months later he embarked in the 'Castle Forbes' and arrived in Sydney on 25th April 1822. He was appointed an Assistant Surveyor on 30 June 1825 and three years later, owing to an injury received whilst on duty, was given the position of Superintendent of Works at Newcastle - an appointment which called for less arduous and active exertion.  From that position he retired in 1829 and at the end of 1830 went to England to correct a misrepresentation that appeared to have been transmitted regarding the extent of the land held by him by grant. His appeal was successful and the Governor was directed, on 20 November 1831, to grant him 1,800 acres that he had rented from the Government immediately adjoining his farm near Broke on the Wollombi River, if still available. The full area was not however available and consequently only 800 acres were granted at the location desired - on 9 April 1835 - together with 1,000 acres at the confluence of the Berenderry Creek and Krui River, in the county of Bligh.


John Rodd (Rev.), of Marden Hereford; b. 1670; B.A. 7 April 1690, M.A. 12 Nov. 1692, New college, Oxford; Vicar of St Peter, Hereford; m. Anne dau. of Hugh Jennings of Foxall, Hereford and d. 1746 (monument in St. Peter's Church) having had issue one son of whom later and four daughters, Anne, Frances, Elizabeth and Mary. The only son was:


John (Rev.), of Marden b.1711; B.A. 28 Jan1722-3, M.A. 28 Oct. 1728, B.D. 1740, Trinity College, Oxford; Vicar of Barton on the Heath; m Christina dau. of Richard Lyster of Rowton Castle, Salop. and d. 17 82 having had issue one son (of whom later) and three daughters, France, Lucy and Mary. The only son was:


John of Marden (inherited on his fathers death), surgeon of Bengeworth, Evesham, Worcestershire; m. Susan Dau. of John Clements of Evesham and d. 1804 having had issue.


John Tremayne (Pioneer), b. 13 Aug. 1777 at Evesham;  m. 2 June 1804. Bridget Hart dau. of William Burnell and his wife Sarah nee Savery, and d, 13 Aug. 1844 at Wollombi near Broke, New South Wales.

J T Rodd-D.13.08.1844-73yrs

The images and research have been reproduced here with the kind permission of Pennie Griffiths of New South Wales. Pennie’s family visited North Hill and if you click on here page you can see her images of her trip along with her son, Tomos, singing plainsong whilst standing by the Spoure memorial.


John Tremayne Rodd lived at ‘Tremayne’ which was north of Wollombi in New South Wales.

©2016 NORTH HILL LOCAL HISTORY GROUP | Berrio Brook, Berrio Bridge, North Hill, Launceston, Cornwall PL15 7NL | ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Contact Webmaster