on the Trebartha Estate
This picture shows the harvesting
of timber for pit props.
was requisitioned and became a hospital, initially for evacuees from
Dunkirk and was operated by the 48th Divisional Field Ambulance.
It was later used for airmen with skin diseases and then for American and
Polish airmen and they embarked from Plymouth in June 1944 for the D-Day
landing at Omaha Beach. There was a fire at the hall when it was occupied
by the Americans.
laid at the side of the house for the parking of lorries. A pump house was
constructed below the lower fishponds to secure a supply of water to the
In 1942 and 1943 Trebartha was also used to hold Italian prisoners of
war. They carved wooden ornaments, many from the panelling of the old hall,
which they sold locally.
The hall had suffered so badly
that after the war the property was offered to the county but they declined
to take it on. In October 1948 The Ministry of Works offered £5000
compensation based upon the fact that the house was beyond economic repair.
The demolition was completed for £50 and all salvage materials became the
property of the demolition company with the exception of the roof slates
which were to be carefully removed and handed over to the Estate. The
newspaper report on the demolition can be seen here. The hall once
had as many rooms as there weeks in a year and 30 or more servants.
Trebartha was a
bird loverís paradise. The starling was not known to breed in Cornwall
until a nest was found at Trebartha in 1854. The
starling is now a county wide resident. Other birds which used Trebartha Estate as their home were the greater spotted
woodpecker, the stock dove, the rock dove, the hobby and the redstart. The
first Cornish nesting sites for these birds were on the Trebartha