Holy Well is on the River Lynher ¼mile SSE from
St Torney’s Church (OS Map reference -
SX27037631). The site is reasonably accessible but the well is usually
partly concealed by the luxuriant undergrowth that abounds in this quiet
spot where the only noises you’ll hear are the birds singing and the river
chattering as it tumbles over its rocky bed.
The River Lynher
has carved its course along the junction of the granite of Bodmin Moor to the south west and the surrounding
slates and shales which lie to the north east. This provides the conditions
for an upwelling of pure water which was much valued by earlier inhabitants
of the area.
The earliest use of the well has
been lost in the mists of time but it is considered to pre-date St Torney’s Church was built around 1269 AD.
The site and location are well
explained on The
Megalithic Portal website.
The Holy Well and the Church are
both on the line of the Mary Michael Pilgrims’ Way, an earth energy line which
stretches from St Michael’s Mount to Norfolk and which was rediscovered by the
use of dowsing techniques. North Hill lies on the Mary branch of the lines,
as does Trewithey Farm and The Hurlers.
The well was also linked to the
church via a ceremonial way passing through Battens farm and across the
field, dividing at the old cottages (now demolished), one
part going to Battens Mill, the other down to the well. The lower part was
removed with the construction of the mill leat.
The purity of water in holy wells is due to the supply coming from deep
down often bringing mineral salts which in some locations are considered to
have specific curative properties.