Home

Places

People

Occupations

Resources

Environment

Gallery

About

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

indeximage.jpg

 

WELCOME

 

Welcome to the website of the North Hill Local History Group. We are delighted you’ve come to look at our history and to learn something about our heritage.

 

North Hill, near Launceston, Cornwall, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

What’s new?

June 2018

·        The discovery that Elsie Humphrey’s name is on the Roll of Honour in Norwich Cathedral

·        Revamped page on The Fallen of North Hill.

July 2018

·        Sound recordings on YouTube of Arthur Borlase’s conversation on Hawks Wood Mine in two parts. Part One. Part Two.

·        Updated ancestry of Mary Spoure, the last of the Spoure family to live at Trebartha Hall.

 

Website overhaul

Please bear with us whilst we overhaul the site. It has grown over the past six years and is now in need of maintenance. The site will remain live. You may notice some minor formatting changes which are being implemented as part of this process. [67 of 153 pages completed at 15 Jun 2018]

 

The parish nestles into the eastern side of the Tamar Valley, between Launceston and Liskeard, in eastern Cornwall. There are three distinct parts to the parish:

§  The western edges are on the upland granite of Bodmin Moor.

§  The central part, which includes North Hill Churchtown, lies in the valley of the River Lynher which flows into the River Tamar.

§  The eastern side forms part of the rolling hills of the beautiful Tamar Valley and the main centre of population in this area is Coad’s Green with its own identity. This is in part due to the Methodist Church (shown here) which over the years has attracted a congregation to Coad’s Green from an area wider than the bounds of the civil parish.

Coad's Green Church before the spire was removed.

Venning’s directory shows the parish in 1887, 1901 and 1907.

Click on a date to see an extract from the appropriate directory.

 

There is evidence of prehistoric settlement across the parish, mostly up on the open moorland. In the Lynher valley there are places which are mentioned in The Domesday Book of 1086 AD. Trebartha Hall has been the seat of the titled families in the parish for about 1000 years.

The eastern edge of Bodmin Moor is bounded by the River Lynher in North Hill parish. This is an area rich in minerals and stone and the source for the once prosperous mining and quarrying industries in the parish. In 1851 at The Great Exhibition at the Crystal Palace in London there was an exhibit sent by the local Rodd family that showed some of the wonderful porphyry found on the Trebartha Estate. Many of the buildings around the parish can trace their origins back for hundreds of years.

The parish church, shown at the top of this page, is dedicated to St Torney and has parts which are 13th century; the font is even earlier. The church registers date back into the 1500s. You will find a fascinating deduction of the age of the North Aisle in St Torney’s by clicking here.

 

The Fallen of North Hill Parish - A Book From The North Hill Local History Group.

This book was launched on 3rd August 2014 to mark the 100th anniversary of the start of World War One. It has 36 pages packed with biographical details of the fallen showing you their life stories, images and connections with North Hill, Coad’s Green and other places in and around the parish. It has been researched and written by local people about local people.

For more details of the book, click here.

 

The image that makes up the banner at the top of this page is a view of North Hill village prominently showing St Torney’s Church in the centre

©2018 NORTH HILL LOCAL HISTORY GROUP | Berrio Brook, Berrio Bridge, North Hill, Launceston, Cornwall PL15 7NL | ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Contact Webmaster